Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Why Run When You Can Fly?
By Karen D’ Amore

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.”
2 Peter 1:3

Every morning, a flock of wild turkeys arrive at my home for their daily feeding. Running single-file down a consistent path, I can watch their arrival from my bedroom window. One morning, following a night of abundant snowfall, I watched the turkeys struggle and sink as they labored to run in the fresh, deep snow. Puzzled by their gawky trot I questioned, “Why would they struggle to run when they are equipped with wings to fly?”

With snow being a perpetual ground cover this past winter, I was not surprised by the many hobbling turkeys that had injured themselves in the debilitating snow. Though I have yet to uncover any logical reason for their choice mode of transportation, their labored activities have drawn me to see parallels in my own faith-walk.

When I labor to live out my life in my own strength, my exhausted soul can be found hobbling to the doorstep of my Lord. God never intended for us to carry out this faith-walk through our own blood, sweat and tears. He has equipped us with everything we need to live a life of devotion to Him. Scripture assures us, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9). When I acknowledge my own powerlessness, God is allowed to be powerful for me. When I “let go and let God,” I am able to tap into the power of God working in and through me.

How do we tap into His power?
  1. By renewing our minds with His Word. (Romans 12:2)
  2. By letting Christ dwell within us. (Colossians 3:16)
  3. By focusing our thoughts on what is pure, right, just, honorable and praiseworthy. (Philippians 4:8)
  4. By fixing our eyes on eternal things rather then temporal things. (2 Corinthians. 4:18)

As Christ-followers, everything we need for life and godliness is found in knowing Christ. When we truly trust in Him---not just as Savior but also as Lord—we are empowered to live a life of fullness, distinction of character, and spiritual maturity so that He is glorified in our lives.

Equipped to fly, the foolish turkeys could have been spared from injury had they utilized their wings. Drawing wisdom from this illustration, we too can be spared from defeat when we utilize ALL that Jesus has given us for life and godliness.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you exhausted and defeated by trying to do things in your own strength? What changes do you need to make to tap into His power?

FURTHER READING:
Philippians 4:13; Hebrews 13:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:17; Isaiah 40:31

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and co-leads a freshman girls’ small group.