Tuesday, May 26, 2009

“Is That Your Final Answer...?”
By Susan Klein

“This is the assurance we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.”
1 John 5:14

Do you ever find yourself in the midst of a situation that, you feel, requires an answer from God, but you just don’t seem to be hearing from Him? I am in that place right now. It is quite perplexing, to say the least! I’m not sensing a “final answer” in the matter.

Oftentimes, God gives us an open door when His final answer is, “yes.” On the other hand, He will close doors or put barriers in our paths when His answer is, “no.” And hard as it is to deal with, sometimes He just says, “Wait. The time for that answer has not yet come.”

But, what if we have a decision to make right now, and we don’t feel that He is saying any of these things to us? Perhaps it is not a “yes” or “no” kind of question, but we just need His guidance on a particular decision that we are wrestling with. His word promises that He hears us. Psalm 91:15 says, “He will call upon me and I will answer him.” Is it possible that His answer could just be, “I’m going to be silent in this matter and let you take a step out in faith, trusting that I will direct you along the way?”

Picture a blindfolded person, whose guide does not tell him where he is going or how he will get there, but just takes him by the hand and carefully leads him, one step at a time. The blindfolded person is totally dependent on his guide, and they arrive at their destination together. I believe that this is how God answers us sometimes. He doesn’t spell it out, or even give us a clue. He just wants us to have “blind faith” that He will guide us in the right direction, and walk each step along with us.

In the Third Day song, “Revelation,” Mac Powell sings; Give me a revelation, show me what to do, ‘cause I’ve been trying to find my way, I haven’t got a clue, tell me should I stay here, or do I need to move...” This is where I am, and maybe you’ve been here too, asking and waiting for some sort of sign from God. But all I get is silence. Maybe His final answer is: “Just start walking, and trust that I’ll be right by your side, all the way to the end!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Next time you are in a situation where you are baffled by God’s silence, try moving forward in faith. Resist the urge to stay “parked,” unless He is specifically telling you to “wait.”

FURTHER READING:
Romans 1:17, Psalm 37:5-6, Proverbs 16:9

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She leads a small group and teaches for Tuesday a.m. Bible Study.