Monday, June 22, 2009

My Father’s Eyes
By Karen D’Amore

“Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father.”
John 14:9

As a young girl I was often told, “You have your father’s eyes.” Resembling my father enabled others to recognize me as his child. Living out the majority of my life in a strained relationship with my father made this observation disconcerting to hear. Stirring up tense and painful emotions, I often wished I could alter my appearance to resemble someone whom I chose to be identified with.

Late in life, through a Christ-surrendered heart, I was given a new set of eyes through which to see my father. As a Christ-follower, Jesus empowered me to see my father though His eyes. Through lenses of grace, I was able to look past my father’s shortcomings and mistakes…past the painful upbringing and abuse…and straight to the man whom Jesus loved unconditionally. God taught me that I could love as much as He loves, by allowing Him to love my father through me. God’s love in me enabled me to love my father with the same love God had for him.

We learn through Scripture that one thing identifies us as followers of Christ: our love. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35). We are identified as Christ-followers when our lives reflect our Father’s love. His love forgives our enemies and prays for them, does not seek revenge, and does not harbor anger. In our own strength, we can never love others as God does. This type of love can only be accomplished through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Recent news of my father’s sudden hospitalization oppressed my heart with concern. As his conditioned worsened, my heart ached with compassion. Feeling genuine love for him, for the first time in my life, validated the transforming power of God’s presence in my life.

This Father’s Day, as I celebrate the life of my father, he is still very ill. As our journey together on this earth grows short, I can rejoice that we both now have our Father’s eyes. And for the remainder of my journey, I now strive to live in a way that others will say, “You look just like your Father.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. How are others able to see Jesus in you by the way in which you love? Pray that Jesus would empower you to love like He does.

FURTHER READING:
Hebrews 6:10-11; John 10:30; Revelation 22:11; 1 Corinthians 13:8

Married to husband Dan, Karen manages Intrigue Salon & Spa, and is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study.