Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Struggling, But Not Alone
By Peggy Kleckner

“Dear friends do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed.”
1 Peter 4:12a

I have been struggling lately. I feel like that butterfly that is trying to break free of its cocoon. Old habits must be broken, new ways must be learned. I am wriggling and squirming and can’t seem to break free. I can feel the fresh air of Christ rushing into the cracks of my prison. I want my freedom all the more. I must persevere through this changing process. The squirming and wriggling is what will make me strong enough to sustain the flight He has planned for me. He won’t cut my struggle short or else I will not have the strength I need to fly as a display of His glory. It is the process of perseverance which He uses to strengthen me. He loves me enough to stand near at hand, encouraging me to continue, knowing that the struggle will lead to the joy of flight.

We should be grateful that it is love which holds Him back, not disinterest. We may be angry at first, wondering why He doesn’t step in. He doesn’t mind our rapid-fire questions. He listens to our pain, hears our pleas, and holds our hands in His. He loves us enough to not interfere with that which is for our good and His glory. To interfere would cripple us and leave us without the gift of flight. To cut short the wriggling for the butterfly by opening its cocoon is to take away the triumph and to destine it to a short, flightless life. God sets the time of our being set free, as He does for the butterfly. He is the Creator and Sustainer of all. What a joy it must be to Him to count down the days to our first day of flight! Oh how I pray that day comes soon, both for you and for me.

Meanwhile, we should be reminded that He had to watch Christ in His sufferings. He had to hear His pain—His plea—and yet stand by until all was completed.

He who began a good work in us is faithful to complete it.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What struggle is wearying you? Can you see His vision for your future flight?

FURTHER STUDY:
1 Peter 4:19; Luke 8:11-15; Philippians 1:6

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.