Thursday, June 18, 2009

Narrow Gate
By Peggy Kleckner

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”
Matthew 7:13-14

We have a screen porch attached to the back of our house. The screen porch includes a “doggy” door. You know, a small opening big enough for a dog to push through. Their door is under the eave of our house and about two feet from the large screen door which we, the people of the house, use. My husband and I trained our dogs to use their “doggy” door by offering them treats to come in through that particular opening. Lately, we have left the very large “people” door standing open. So essentially, at present, we have a narrow gate (the doggy door) and a broad gate (the screen door)!

I opened the patio door this morning in anticipation of letting our black lab back into the house. Sure enough, here she comes, and I had to smile as she veered past the broad gate and entered through the narrow one. She had been trained and acted on that training to come in through the door that is narrow. Oh, now and then she strays and comes in through the broad, but by and large she sticks to the narrow.

What a fine reminder that picture was for me. God has been training me through His Word and through the blessings that follow obedience to continue to choose the narrow road. The broad path is well-worn. Oh, I have been on it. I am on it when I refuse to forgive, instead of extending His grace. I am on it when I engage in gossip, when I could choose to reroute the conversation or walk away. I am also on it when I use my tongue as a weapon, rather than speaking only words that edify. God knows what is best for me and He will continue to train me in the way that I should go. I need only look to Him. He’s on the narrow path.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How tempting is the “wide gate” during this particular season of your life? Are you following the Lord’s training or are you choosing your own way?

FURTHER READING:
Proverbs 3:5-6; Psalm 25; Psalm 139

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.