Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Stepping Out In Faith
By Karen D’Amore

“We live by faith, not by sight.”
2 Corinthians 5:7

“And the Lord said to Joshua, ‘Today I will begin to exalt you in the eyes of Israel, so they may know that I am with you as I was with Moses.’ …As soon as the priests…set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off…” (Joshua 3:7, 13). The Israelites were to step out in faith; break camp, pack up their belongings and actually step foot into the river before it would be opened.

Joshua embodies stepping out in obedience and faith. God assured Him that He would lead him in the same way that He led Moses through the Red Sea. Drawing from the archives of God’s faithfulness, Joshua trusted in God’s promises and obeyed.

Recently, God called me to step out in faith and cross a modern-day “Jordan.” At a time when financial obstacles barricaded my path, God instructed me to quit my job. Though weary from juggling trade school and a full-time job, financial constraints rendered the option of joblessness…impossible. In addition to financial barriers, other logistical conditions drew common sense and logic to wrestle with God’s timing. My flesh wanted to see a game plan; a visible sign of how God would provide. Flipping through the pages of my personal “faith-book,” I trusted His unequivocal voice and stepped out in obedience and faith. Upon notifying my boss of my resignation, peace flowed like a river from my head to the soles of my feet. With my office packed, belongings gathered, and no “game plan,” I stepped out into my personal Jordan River.

The blind curve on the road home metaphorically mimicked my blind faith journey. Arriving home at the end of that winding road, God met me in the mailbox. Spilling out from the stack of mail was a refund check from an old, unknown over-payment. A check exceeding one month’s salary…God had transformed impossibilities into provisions.

Charles Inwood writes, “When God is going to do something wonderful, He begins with a difficulty. When He’s going to do something miraculous, He begins with an impossibility.”(1) As Christ-followers, we have the confidence that “faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1). Today, put feet to your faith…step out into the “Jordan”…and allow God to turn impossibilities into miracles.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What obstacles are hindering you from stepping out in faith? What might you do with those?

FURTHER READING:
Romans 1:17; Psalm 17:5-8

(1) From “Words of Life”

Married to husband Dan, Karen is a retired police officer. She is the administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and a volunteer at the Wildlife In Need Center.