Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting My Hang On
by Pamela Blattner

“But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don't take yourself too seriously…take God seriously.”
Micah 6:8 (MSG)

A few summers back, I taught a spiritual gifts class to several inner-city young ladies. Many of them came to the session feeling inadequate and under-qualified in nearly every area of their lives. I had the privilege of joining God in His work and experiencing His grace and everlasting love that day. He drew these girls to Himself, softened their spirits and crowned them His princesses.

Last year, when I was asked to be a mentor for a younger woman, I didn’t think I was qualified. Being an adult woman’s mentor wasn’t at all like teaching teens or young children, was it? Aren’t the qualifications and criteria different? I should be more of a scholar, more conservative, logical, and my presentation “perfect.” This could be a dilemma, I told myself.

I carried this around for a few days until I shared it with a fellow student in a graduate class. I was very serious about my problem. She listened to me explain and gently smiled. She said, “For as long as I’ve known you, you’ve been discipling and mentoring others; not just kids, but adults, too. You just didn’t see that what you were doing was ‘spiritual.’”

She went on to say, “Girl, you have the ‘gift of hang.’ It’s a little splash of encouragement, a tad of mercy, and a whole lot of love for the lost. You’re the Lord’s free spirit, and when you see an opportunity, you spend time with people. You pour on Christ’s love and add His life lesson. You give God His moment.”

Her response was so freeing. I realized I didn’t have to be at a certain level with certain criteria before God could use me. He wanted me just like I am. I’m free to be me! With Jesus, I can “hang” real each day. Care to join me?

GOING DEEPER:
1. In what ways has God gifted you? How can you use that gift to serve and mentor others?

FURTHER READING:
John 13:34-35

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.