Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Season Finales
By Karen Damore

“I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.”
Jeremiah 29:11 (MSG)

Many lay wounded from a gunman’s rampage…a school bus teeters on the edge of a cliff…a family is lost at sea…when “TO BE CONTINUED” flashes across the screen. In the world of television, season finales typically end with a suspenseful cliffhanger. Unresolved dilemmas in the hyper-dramatic episode lure viewers to return next season, the most anticipated conclusion being the destiny of their famed characters. With the fate of each character resting in the hands of the Director, not every character’s role remains the same in the returning season.

For the past four years, my “Master Director” cast me in a role in a business with perpetual soap opera-like drama. In spite of the drama-infused challenges, I found comfort in the routine, pleasure in relational bonds with clients and co-workers, and joy in the many ministry opportunities. With the recent closure of that business, I faced a personal “season finale.” With my fellow “cast members” and faithful audience scattered, I stand alone, awaiting a new leading role.

Holding a fresh diploma from beauty school, I now face a new season with a new script. Auditioning for a role I’ve never played, I wait for my “Agent” to direct me to a new stage. While the unfamiliar and unknown is unnerving, I find comfort in knowing that my fate lies in the hands of the Master Director!

“Like an open book, You watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before You. The days of my life all prepared before I’d even lived one day” (Psalm 139:16, MSG). As Christ-followers, God has written each of our personal scripts. Ephesians 2:10 assures us that “we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

We are His “leading lady” holding His eternal script. As seasons come and go, He may call us to play different roles. Let’s put on our Christ-like character and act out the role He’s directing us in. And remember, the cliffhanger endings in your “season finales” are faith-building preludes to…new seasons!

GOING DEEPER:
1. How can you better embrace the roles God has for you in changing seasons?

FURTHER READING:
Philippians 1:6; Isaiah 44:2; Romans 8:29

Married to Dan, Karen is a retired police officer, and a recently licensed Nail Technician. She is administrator for Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study, and is a wildlife rehabilitator.