Friday, July 9, 2010

Trust in the Lord
By Dawn Weimar

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust is the confident expectation of something…or, hope. Trust, in a legal sense, is something committed to for safekeeping. The Lord wants us to trust in Him. Trust and hope are not blindness or naiveté, but a reliance on a Person. Not just any person, but the Person of God; no less than the God of the universe who created and maintains all good things. Yes, the Creator of heaven and earth wants you to trust Him and rely on Him.

I am a person who asks many questions. I need to know why. This inquisitiveness has served me well. When I learn something, I learn it well…inside and out. Part of learning is understanding. Yet, I realize that there are some things beyond our understanding. In Isaiah 55, the Lord states, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.” Most situations will require us to not lean on our understanding. We will have to dig for His understanding and an understanding of His ways. And regardless, if He chooses to reveal an answer to the question “why,” we must choose to trust and rely on Him…or not.

There have been many situations in which I have wrestled over a “why” with God. I have been angry and questioning and struggling, until the day I read God’s answer to Job in chapter 38. If you are indignant, this will cause you pause: “Then, the Lord answered Job out of the storm. He said: ‘Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge. Brace yourself like a man; I will question you and you shall answer me.’” Well, you’ll have to read the rest for yourself; may it bless you with humility and trust in Him, as Job finally said, “I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted…Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you trust God? In what practical situation do you need Him today?
2. Have you gone to His Word with that situation in mind to look for His guidance? If not, do not close your eyes tonight until you have spent some time tonight searching His Word.

FURTHER READING:
Job 38-42

Dawn is a wife and mother of three daughters, and is active in Oakwood's worship ministries. She's a pediatric nurse, currently working as VP of Business Development in Population Health Improvement.