Wednesday, July 14, 2010

There’s Praise in the Puddles
By Pamela Blattner

“Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!”
John 16:22-24

Last week, I was having a “blue” afternoon. Nothing major was going on, I was just bogged down by mundane routine and everyday frustrations of babysitting for my three-year-old grandson who wanted to go outside and play. I was sitting in my office working on a project for church and trying to fight off the grey cloud that I felt hanging over my head, when it started to rain. I really love sunshine, and the rain just added to the heaviness in my heart. A few minutes after it started to rain, something outside my office window caught my eye. I turned my desk chair to see several puddles of water on the driveway. I took my grandson outside and was instantly captivated by one of the most precious sights I’ve ever experienced. This three-year-old warrior child was dancing in the rain…whirling and leaping with his face upward and his arms outstretched, soaking up every drop of rain possible. His dinosaur-stomping moves were powerful, parting every puddle with his jumping and dancing. It was his innocence and uninhibited enjoyment of the rainy moment that was so compelling. Something in my heart longed to dance with him. So I did. (It’s wonderful to be a grandparent!)

God blessed me with the opportunity to “dance in the rain,” to see the beauty in everyday moments and embrace whatever life brings with joy. I was so glad that I didn’t allow the circumstances of life to overwhelm the best part of life: God’s presence! Psalm 16:11 says, “You fill me with joy in your presence.” While my grandson may have just been dancing in the rain, he inspired me to embrace God’s presence in spite of the storms and to dance.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Think of the moments you have experienced where you can remember God’s love notes to you. Sometimes He sends His love in the giggle of a child, or peace in the midst of heartache. Can you think of a moment He lavished His love on you and your family this week? Who can you tell?
2. Do a Bible word study on “joy” by going to www.biblegateway.com and keyword search “joy.”

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 28:6, 97:11

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care and is Co-Coordinator of Touched Twice Ministries.