Thursday, July 8, 2010

That Piano In Heaven
By Pam Blattner

“And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”
Revelation 7:17

Last week we went fishing on a lake with some friends. During our conversation, one of the young girls expressed her excitement about taking drivers’ education this summer. While we were on the pier, she asked, “Do you think they have cars in heaven?” When I asked her why she was wondering, she said “Well, I know the Lord is coming soon and I hope that if I don’t get to drive a car here, I’ll get to drive one there!”

It was ironic that she asked this question, especially since we don’t talk about heaven very often and my mother had just passed away. It’s a topic hardly spoken about by anyone. Preachers rarely preach a sermon just on heaven and about the only time you can count on hearing about it is at a funeral…as a comfort to those whose loved one is in a “better place.”

If we really believe that, then why don’t most of us long for heaven? I believe it’s because we are still bound by all the trappings that life on this side has to offer. We have unfinished business here and family whom we love dearly. There are also tomorrow’s dreams that we’re only just beginning to see come true…including a young lady’s anticipation of driving a car.

But some of us are also afraid of death. We don’t see it quite the way the Apostle Paul did when he said, “Where, O death, is your sting?” (1 Corinthians 15:55). We don’t view life from an eternal perspective. So, while Paul saw death as the “last enemy to be destroyed,” (1 Corinthians 15:26) we find it a little hard to look beyond the grave.

While I sat by my mom’s side at the hospice, I sang all of her favorite songs, and prayed for God’s peace as He ushered her into heaven. I began to reminisce about the things I looked most forward to when I get to heaven. Things like seeing Jesus, catching up with my mom and dad and hugging my Grandma Martin. I also shared with my mom how much I looked forward to getting my perfect body. “I have no musical ability and always wanted to play the piano here on earth,” I told her and my daughter. “But if I get there before any of you, look for the good-looking, skinny piano player playing praise and worship music for the best sounding quartet you’ve ever heard…the one I’m really hoping is led by Elvis! That will be me!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Where do you stand in your viewpoint on heaven? Are you eager to see Jesus or afraid of death? Talk to God about your feelings.

FURTHER READING:
Philippians 3:20-21; Revelation 21

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.