Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Absolute Stillness
By Susan Klein

“Be still, and know that I am God...”
Psalm 46:10

Have you ever experienced “absolute stillness”? Recently, our family took a mini-vacation to the Northwoods for a few days of R&R. As we turned onto the lengthy gravel drive leading to the remote cabin in the woods, it began. Total silence! There was no sound, no visible sign of life, no movement of any sort. All we saw were endless trees and blankets of fresh white snow. When we pulled up to the cabin and stepped out of the vehicle, I felt encompassed by this mysterious stillness. Not a branch swayed, not a flake of snow fell. Everything was perfectly still, other than our footsteps. Talk about isolated!

We soon discovered that there was no television reception, no computer connection, and even our cell phones had zero bars! It was almost eerie, like we’d stepped back in time to the “Little House in the Big Woods” days of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Reality, as well as a bit of concern, began to register as I realized that in the event of an emergency, we’d be unable to dial 9-1-1 for help, or anyone else for that matter!

By the second day, I had become familiar with my tranquil surroundings, and even began to embrace them. I took a long walk by myself with only the snow-covered trees and the sunny blue sky to accompany me. As I walked along in complete silence, I was suddenly overcome by a reverential awe of my situation. I was totally dependent on my heavenly Father! I was all alone in this stillness, with no one accompanying me and no technology to help me. It was just me and my Creator! His peace and His presence permeated my entire being. I could not help but feel worshipful in that place.

When God tells us to “be still,” I believe this is a picture of what He is talking about. Not that we have to drive to a remote get-away to be alone with Him, but that we abandon all else. We intentionally desert all of life’s demands and duties and become vulnerably dependent on Him. We cease and desist! We get quiet, get alone, and get focused. We become still enough to experience His presence. And when we do, He shows us Himself! We are emptied of all distractions and can see Him more clearly and know Him more fully. What a wonderful place to be!

Have you ever experienced “absolute stillness”?

GOING DEEPER:
1. Take some time this week to abandon all activity, noise and movement. Be still before God in a way that lets you experience His powerful presence.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 37:7; Isaiah 30:15

Susan is our Tuesday Morning Women’s Bible Study Coordinator and one of its teachers. She is also involved in youth outreach ministry.