Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Joy Set Before Me
By Peggy Kleckner

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:2

I have heard it often debated whether or not God has a sense of humor. I see no reason for debate. Once you walk with Him a while, you KNOW that He does!

Here’s my latest dose of His humor. I have been working my way through some physical therapy for my neck. Apparently, this has been helping me to develop perseverance and patience. I just wanted to attend a time or two and then be well. You all know that is not the way physical therapy works. Like so much of life, it is a process and the body will heal at its own pace, which, of course, will not be as fast as I would like.

Anyway, I had progressed far enough that not only had the therapist given me stretching exercises, but also strengthening exercises. This included a stretch band with handles that is grasped and pulled with both hands at the same time, while standing erect and looking forward. I had done this many times at the physical therapy clinic, but eventually I realized that I owned one of these bands and could also do these exercises at home. I wrapped the band around the bedpost in my study room.

Finally, I actually decided to use it! I grasped the handles, stood erect facing forward, only to break out in a giggle. There before me, directly in front of me, was a sun catcher hanging in my window that read “JOY” and, of course, what sprang to mind but the verse above. So, for the “JOY” He set before me, I endured my exercises and am looking forward to my healing!

You just never know when God will use His Word to have an “inside” joke with you!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you think you always have to be “serious” with God?
2. When was the last time you chuckled with God?

FURTHER READING:
Proverbs 17:22; Psalm 68:3

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - two sons and two stepsons. She is the Co-coordinator of Oakwood’s Wednesday p.m. Bible Study.