Friday, January 28, 2011

What Day is It?
By Vernette Kureck

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
Matthew 6:34

I'm one of those women who likes to make “to do” lists. It gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can cross off things that I have completed. Also, as a woman, I’m always thinking ahead, preplanning future days so the household will run smoothly. It is nice to know things are in order.

I have the pleasure of spending Wednesday mornings with my three-year-old granddaughter. We attend a weekly Bible study, visit great-Nana and “do lunch.” While we're in the car together, she loves to sing along with the CD. It is so precious to hear biblical truths sung in sweet innocence. The words to one song are “Good morning, God. This is your day; I am your child, show me your way.” 1 One day, as she was singing, my mind was thinking about the rest of the day and things to do tomorrow. We started chatting about some of those things that needed to get done, and what errands we were going to do. As a three-year-old, she is beginning to get the concept of days of the week, so I asked her what day it was. Imagine my surprise when she said, “Today is tomorrow.” Wow! Out of the mouth of babes!

How many times have I foregone enjoying things “right now” because I am living in my tomorrow? That incident helped me put my day back into order. I needed and wanted to be in the present. Psalm 118: 24 says, “This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.” I decided right then to keep my “to do” list on paper and out of my mind, and to enjoy the precious present.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you foregoing any of today’s pleasures because you’re worrying about tomorrow? Write it down and give it to the Lord. Let Him order your day. You will be surprised how it all seems to get done when He is in charge.

FURTHER READING:
James 4:13-15

Vernette and her husband Ken have two children and seven grandchildren. When she’s not “grandparenting,” she’s busy as Oakwood Church’s financial secretary.

1 Good Morning, God" by Lee Bristol Jr.