Monday, January 31, 2011

Best Value
By Elin Henderson

“…so let my life be valued much in the eyes of the LORD,
and let Him deliver me out of all tribulation.”
I Samuel 26:24b (NKJV)

No, this isn’t a marketing scheme by Walmart! Just a little reminder for us all to remember where our best value lies. The amount of value we place on something is evidenced by how we treat and care for it. I value my health, so I take care to eat healthy, stay fit, and so on. I value my family, so I take care of them and spend time with them, letting them know they are appreciated and loved. I value my car, so I wash it, get the oil changed, and take it in for tune-ups.

I think we need constant reminders that we are valued by the King and that value is evidenced in His watch and care over us. So much in life can cause us to feel devalued - - expectations of others, being wronged, being shunned or put down. A day doesn’t pass when feelings like that don’t hit us front and center. That is when we need to fall back onto the promises of the Word of God that remind us that we are valuable because He values us! We are His best value and you don’t get any better than that! He is willing to step in at a moment’s notice and deliver us! He wants to see us perform at our best and takes care to maintain us, reminding us of our security in Him.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you aware of some verses in the Bible that remind us we are treasured by Him? If not, ask someone who could help you discover them.
2. Has something been causing you to feel devalued lately? What is it? What verses have you read or been reminded of that can help you see your best value is in Him?
3. As you take care of your car, computer, home or pet today, use the experience to remind you how much God cares for you!

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 18:19, 37:23-24; Psalm 139; Zephaniah 3:17; John 3:16; I Peter 5:7

Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson and her husband Phil serve as church planters with New Tribes in Mozambique, Africa. Elin is mother to ten-year-old Callie and eight-year-old Elias.