Thursday, September 15, 2011

Content with Weakness
By Peggy Kleckner

“For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
2 Corinthians 12:10 (RSV)

Content with weakness? Oh no, I haven’t lived my life that way! Like most women, I have wanted to prove my worth by showing my strength. We are taught again and again to “pick ourselves up by our bootstraps” because there is work to be done! Somehow we continue the façade of looking good in front of others and falling apart in private…what foolishness!

Why is it that God wrote in His Word that we are strong when we are weak? As always, such an upside down thought from what the world believes!

When we are weak, we cry out for His strength. When we are strong, we try to move on and handle things on our own. If we are believers, we are never without Him, but when we are strong we don’t seem to stay in constant, desperate communication with Him. When we are weak, we most often feel His tender mercy and His undergirding strength.

God seems to allow weaknesses in us as reminders of our need for Him. In our great need, we see past ourselves to the all-sufficiency of Him. So, yes, I am learning to be content with my weakness. I am learning to cry out to Him and to wait on His answers.

Weakness seems to break through the sin of pride. It calls us to surrender to His plan and calls us into communion with others. When we are weak we can show His strength, His ability to deliver and redeem. What a privilege!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What weakness have you been ashamed of or denied?
2. Are you willing to surrender it to Him and allow Him to show His strength in you and to you?

FURTHER READING:
Roman 8:26-27; 1 Corinthians 1:18-31
 

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children—two sons and two stepsons and is an active encourager at Oakwood.