Thursday, September 22, 2011

Your Life is the Only Bible Some People Read
By Pamela Blattner

“Since we have such a huge crowd of men of faith watching us from the grandstands, let us strip off anything that hinders, slows us down or holds us back.”
Hebrews 12:1 (The Living Bible)

When I used to go and visit my mother, who was an elder resident at a local memory care unit, one of our favorite and feistiest caregivers was often there, observing our relationship. One particular day I had a dear friend of mine come with me. My mom recognized her and we all visited happily in the living room. When it was time to leave, I hugged and kissed my mom good-bye. As my friend bent down to do the same, my mom whispered in her ear, “Anne, will you pray for my eyes? I can only see out of one now. I believe that you can pray and God will hear you.” Without hesitation, my friend gently touched my mother’s brow, kissed her face and began praying. The nurse walked passed us and was startled, raised her eyebrows in disbelief, and resumed walking. My friend just kept praying until my back started to feel the strain of her lengthy prayer. That same nurse came in again, and saw us all in the same huddled position, and said, “Are you o.k. Dorothy?” My friend ignored her and kept praying. The nurse came past us a third time and became impatient and issued an enormous sigh. I began to feel uncomfortable! Eventually my friend’s prayer subsided. My mom’s face looked rested and hopeful. We hugged and kissed good-bye again.

The following Wednesday, that same nurse approached me and asked, “Will you pray with me? I know you are a Christian because of the Christian magazines and Christian cards you send to your mother and the friends you bring. I need prayer very badly.” I stepped outside on the porch and prayed with her. I also invited her to church and Café Chocolat, a women’s event at Oakwood, which she attended. After she left, I bowed my head and prayed, “Father, thank You that our nurse has never had to deliver anything to my mom’s room or mailbox that would reflect badly on our testimony to You. Keep our lives and our future visits pure from ungodliness.”

Someone once said, “Our life may be the
only Bible some people will ever read.” What a good reminder that not only are “people of faith” watching, but also people with weak or no faith. Let us get rid of all that may hinder our witness or hold us back from glorifying God.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are others “reading” in your life and actions today? Ask the Holy Spirit to give you strength to walk uncompromisingly with Him.

FURTHER READING:
Romans 2:15; Acts 22:15; Proverbs 14:25

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and three grandchildren.  She serves Oakwood through its Prayer Ministry and Touched Twice Ministry.