Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Friend in Every Science Class
By Chelsey Waala

“Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
John 11:25-26

I do not enjoy science. I often say I am forever thankful to those who apply it in things like medicine, engineering, and research, but I do not want any part in studying it myself. And so, you can imagine my complaints as I begrudgingly take a required science course (with a lab!) this semester. This is boring, this is boring, this is boring, I catch myself thinking often. I try to approach this class with an open mind, but I am constantly disappointed in the material we are studying. This makes it incredibly difficult to find any hope in enjoying the class.

A few hours after I finished complaining to a fellow classmate, I was reminded that Jesus often turns our disappointments into opportunities. In her devotional, It’s a Wonderful (Imperfect) Life,(1) Joan C. Webb explains that in every unfavorable situation, from the mildly annoying to the devastating, our Lord provides us with lessons, relationships and growth. . For example, when Jesus “missed” the opportunity to heal Lazarus, Mary and Martha were grief-stricken. However, Jesus was now able raise Lazarus from the dead in front of others, leading many to faith. Because he was “late,” many people were saved! And Mary and Martha no doubt fell deeper in love with their Christ as they witnessed Him turn devastation into celebration.

Our Lord is the ultimate optimist. With His help, we can turn our everyday annoyances into opportunities to build character. We can turn disappointments into hope, and tragedy into praise. We can seek comfort in knowing that He will help us find the positives even when it seems impossible.

As for me, I found that my science class allows me to see a lovely friend every day. I get to interact with someone who understands my distaste for the sciences but lifts me up with humor. There is a friend in every boring class, just as there is an opportunity in every disappointment.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Can you recall a recent disappointment? Looking back, can you find one positive outcome?
2. How can you encourage others to seek God’s positivity in every situation? Will you?

FURTHER READING:

(1) Webb, Joan C.  It’s a Wonderful (Imperfect) Life. Ventura, CA:  Regal, 2009

Chelsey is a sophomore at Augsburg College in Minnesota, studying Secondary Education and English. Upon graduating, she hopes to foster a love of life and learning in high school students. When home, she has served in Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries.