Thursday, February 2, 2012

God Knows
By Lisa Boyer

“What is the price of two sparrows - - one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.”
Matthew 10:29 (NLT)

One day, probably a bad day (I don’t recall exactly), a friend and I were talking and we began discussing Matthew 10:29. I informed her that in spite of the many sermons I’d heard on that verse, I didn’t find it to be very comforting… “He may know, but in the end,” I said, “the sparrow’s still dead.” Maybe our sense of humor is a bit off, but at the time, we both found it very funny…or maybe we laughed because the reality of the statement could have made us cry…I’m not really sure.

Today, I changed my mind.

This morning, this same friend and I were chatting on Facebook about how hard life can be at times and she brought up the sparrow. I have to admit it brightened my day. I found myself thinking about it all morning and smiling…He may know, but in the end the sparrow’s still dead. He may know, but… that’s when it hit me - - it is  an encouraging verse! 

Now this verse reminds me that nothing is outside of God’s knowledge or ultimate control. Life happens, death happens, and God knows about all of it. I heard a statement once that said, God did not wake up this morning and say, “Whoa, I didn’t see that coming.”  He knows. He really  knows.

So hearing (or saying) “the sparrow is still dead” is now followed by a voice in my head that compassionately and emphatically states HE KNOWS. Not in that He knows and did nothing  or He knows and didn’t care  way, but in that He knows and He’s hurting right there with me  sort of way.

Life is hard, whether by our choices, the choices of others, or the effects of a broken world; even so, God knows. And not only does He know, He intimately cares. After all, “you are worth more than many sparrows” (Matthew 10: 31b).

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you been discouraged by the difficulties of life? Today, will you trust in God’s care and love for you, no matter what the circumstances?

FURTHER READING:

Lisa has been married to Ted for 19 years and they have two teenage sons. Lisa administers Fresh Start’s Facebook and blog, and loves hanging out with and impacting teenage girls for Christ.