Thursday, January 31, 2013

Clear the Court!
By Peggy Kleckner

“Therefore, there is now no condemnation 
for those who are in Christ Jesus....
Romans 8:1

Recently, I awoke with a crowded mind. Oh, the thoughts that were confronting me, thoughts of all my shortcomings! I said the wrong thing in this conversation. I did too much in that situation, and not enough in the other one. I didn’t finish this task or start that one. What a clatter of chatter!

I headed to my personal time with the Lord pretty beaten down for first thing in the morning. I quietly took my place and began to bring my thoughts to Him.

As I did so, I envisioned a courtroom. Lots of voices and confusion surrounded me as I reluctantly took my seat in the place of the accused. The one true Judge entered and, at the sound of His gavel, order was established from the chaos. It was His authority that had the right to rule over my mind, so the chaos became quiet.

He knew that was not enough, so He called for each witness and let each one speak. One by one, my thoughts were marched forward and their accusations were heard. My head hung low, but my lips remained quiet before these accusers.

After all of the accusations, I realized there was One who approached the bench on my behalf. I had forgotten that I have an Advocate! Jesus spoke on my behalf. He presented the documentation that I am His, and that His work on the Cross has paid for all of these accusations. A smile came across the face of the Judge, answered by the smile of Christ. The court was cleared and once again, I was refreshed by the gift of the full payment of the Cross. There I stood in the joy of God’s amazing grace. 

How often have I run from my thoughts, rather than ask for a court hearing? How often have I tried to bring order to the chaos of my mind? How foolish, when all along God stands ready to judge my thoughts for me. These hearings help to remind me that without the Cross, I have no freedom. Without Christ, I do stand condemned before a Holy God. 

But in  Christ, there is now no condemnation for (place your name here)!

The courtroom cleared and God gathered me in His arms.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What accusations are you trying to stuff behind a barricade, rather than bring out into His light?
2.  Are you willing to sit quietly before the only One who has the right to judge you?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.