Monday, January 21, 2013

From Plunder to Prosperity 
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, 
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

I have heard this verse in countless graduations, baby dedications, and sermons. I have heard it so often that it almost sounds stale. Recently, my eyes were reopened to this Scripture because I had completely missed the context of what Jeremiah was saying.

This verse is written to the Israelites after they were sent into exile
          The land was plundered. 
          The wealth was gone. 
          They were forced to leave their homes and all that they knew. 
          They were subject to a foreign ruler. 
          The leaders…king and soldiers…taken captive. 
          Families were separated…if they had survived the onslaught. 
          Only the poorest of the land were left.  (2 Kings 24)

The Israelites were reaping the consequences of their disobedience to God.  Their lives were savaged.
Maybe you can relate.

Whether it is as a result of living in a fallen, sinful world, or the consequences of personal actions, lives are savaged every day. The faithful of Israel, as well as the fallen, were all subject to the exile. It’s the same today. 

So how do we respond when we are facing our own “exiles”? Expanding our view of Jeremiah 29, God tells His people:

“Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce.Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters…. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” 

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity…”

In other words, carry on and work to flourish in the new place. God has not forgotten us, and He has a plan that is greater than the here and now. From the place of brokenness, He will bring healing when each of us seeks Him with our heart.  

And that message is never stale.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Examine your reactions when havoc invades your life. Do you retreat? Pray for God to show you how to flourish in the circumstance.

FURTHER READING: 
2 Kings 24:8-16; Psalm 40 

Along with caring for her husband and two children, Carolyn works as an insurance representative, serves in Oakwood Church’s Student Ministries with an awesome group of junior high girls, and is the treasurer for We Women Ministries.