Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day
By Tracy Smith

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”
Psalm 147:3 (NIV)

Memorial Day is a day our country has set aside for remembrance. It is a day to remember those that have served our country and paid for our freedoms with the ultimate sacrifice - - their lives. Usually on this day, my mind is focused on how to best honor these brave men and women. 

This year, I have also been thinking about another aspect of Memorial Day - - the families left behind, the Gold Star Families. [1] For every sacrifice made on the battlefield, there are loved ones at home mourning the loss.

I cannot imagine the grief a mother feels when she buries a son, or a brother feels when he says good-bye to a sister, or child feels when he cries out in the night for his daddy, who cannot be there. My heart is heavy for those who grieve. I wish there was something I could do to ease their grief.

While there is nothing I can do, my prayer is that every person grieving knows the ultimate healer, the Lord. When life takes you down a road that you had not planned, leaning upon the Lord as you try to understand the new path is the only way to make it through.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

My prayer this Memorial Day is that we all take some time to remember those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country and those that mourn their loss.

GOING DEEPER
1.  Will you commit to spending some time in prayer this Memorial Day for those who are brokenhearted?

FURTHER READING


Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.