Friday, May 10, 2013

Under His Wings
By Peggy Kleckner

"He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." 
Psalm 91:4

I, like many others, have been watching a pair of eagles in their nest live via the Internet. When I first saw them, I was taken by their watchfulness, their patience to “be still.” They had a good reason to “be still”: They were taking turns sitting on three eggs!

I could hop on the Internet and check the progress of those three eggs whenever it was convenient for me to do so. The eagles though, didn’t have that luxury. They had to patiently “sit” on those eggs until the other partner came to relieve them of that duty. They had to be consistent and persistent in protecting those eggs.

Eventually the eggs hatched, one by one in God’s timing. And the eagles stayed attentive. Not only did they tuck those eggs under the weight and warmth of their wings, they eventually tucked the hatchlings in the same place.

Those babies have no idea how high that nest is. They don’t know what their parents go through to bring them their food. All that they need is supplied.

I thought of those babies as I watched one of the parents snuggle down on top of them again. How weighty is the parent? How dark is it under the wings of his protection? Do the babies ever view their protection as a burden? Do they squawk to get out? Do they misinterpret their parent’s motive?

I have learned a lot from watching those eagles and their young. God uses lots of different classrooms to teach us about both Himself and ourselves, doesn’t He?

There is great benefit in stillness….attentive stillness. God truly is my shield and rampart. He knows and provides for all of my needs under the refuge of His wings. I can take comfort in my position of dependence.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What might God be able to birth from the stillness He is calling you to?
2. Are you perhaps misinterpreting His protection as a burden?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 17:8-9; Psalm 36:5-7; Psalm 46:10

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.