Thursday, May 30, 2013

Who am I?
By Brita Crouse

“Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said: ‘Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?’”
2 Samuel 7:18 (NIV)

Who am I? I’m a twenty-two-year-old college graduate. I’m a sister, daughter, and friend. I love music, good conversation, and cooking. But, it wasn’t until recently that I saw any of these things as blessings.

I have this problem: I compare blessings. I see things that other people have or can do and immediately compare my blessings to their blessings. For instance, many of my friends are getting married or starting jobs. So, naturally, I think, “Where’s my  husband?” or “How come I  don’t have my  dream job with a $60,000 starting salary yet?”…instead of thanking God for what I do  have. Have you ever caught yourself thinking things like that before? It’s silly, really, when you see those thoughts written out.

Think of it this way: Would you like to receive the same gift as all of your friends? God blesses each of us in different ways, according to our own individual needs. He lavishes His love on us in ways that are best for us. As much as I would like to get married someday, now is definitely not the time. So why am I comparing my situation to my friends who are?

It’s in those moments of comparison where I have to stop and ask God, “Who am I, that you have brought me this far?” Who am I that God has allowed me to graduate college in three and a half years? Who am I that God has given me a family and friends who love me? Who am I that God has sanctioned gifts and abilities that are unique to me?

David asks God the same question after he is reminded of how far he has come. David was brought out of a sheep pasture to become the ruler over Israel. He defeated his enemies with God protecting him, and God was always with him. And, he wasn’t comparing his situation to those around him. He was grateful! These are some serious blessings, and David acknowledged that, yet it was still hard for him to fathom.

When we can take time to say, “Who am I, God, that you have brought me this far?” and recognize our own blessings, we will experience that same kind of awe David did.  

GOING DEEPER:
1.  How has God blessed you this week? Take time to thank God for those blessings.
2.  Keep a list for the next week of things you are thankful for.

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently graduated from Taylor University with a degree in Psychology, has been attending Oakwood for sixteen years, and is currently part of our Just Among Moms weekly childcare team.