Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I am Special Because…
By Jen Wollner

“You are the one who put me together inside my mother’s body…Even before I was born, you had written in your book everything I would do.”

My daughter’s 1st grade class worked together to create a book titled “I am Special.”  Each child completed the sentence, “My name is ____ and I am special because…” I was fascinated by their answers as they gave me a glimpse into each child’s precious 6-year-old heart. And each illustration was especially entertaining!

As I read through the book with my daughter, I noticed a trend.  More than half of the students said they were special because of their family. They wrote, “I am special because my mom loves me,” or “I am special because I have a brother.”  The rest of the children identified their uniqueness by something they could do.  For instance, “I am special because I’m a good baseball player,” or “I am special because I like to draw.”

Isn’t it interesting that even at a very young age, we judge our worth and identity by where we came from and what we can achieve? I believe this is so because of the way God made us. He designed us to find our identity in Him as our Creator and Heavenly Father (family). And, find our value in the ways in which He works in our lives through the gifts and talents He gave us (achievement).

Unfortunately, we tend to focus on our earthly circumstances and define ourselves by those things instead. We feel good about ourselves because of healthy families, a successful job or stable finances. Or the opposite… a negative self-worth because of a dysfunctional family, unemployment or our “gifting” isn’t like someone else’s. Our emotions and perceptions are often what drive the way we define our identity. Sadly, those things often can - - and do - - change in an instant!

The good news is that’s not the way God intended for us to see ourselves.  He created us to have a deep, intimate relationship with Him so we would know Him and His unconditional love for us. We have value simply because He made us and loves us! He also created us to fulfill purposes in this life that He has planned for us and equipped us for since before we were born. In those things, we find achievement and success for His Glory.

May we be thankful for family and achievement yet remember our worth and identity is truly in Him. “My name is Jen Wollner and I am special because…the Lord loves me and has good plans for my life!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. How would you finish this sentence, “My name is ____ and I am special because…”? 
2. What defines your identity?

FURTHER READING:

Jen and her husband are busily parenting three elementary-aged children.  She serves on the leadership team for Mission: Hope, Oakwood’s orphan care ministry.