Friday, November 8, 2013

Yup...Still on our Side
By Lexi Ellis

The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?”

He said it again. I have a tendency to critically over-think. In healthy doses, it’s reflective learning. But when entertained for too long, it’s unhealthy and obsessive. I ultimately self-sabotage with self-inflicted, unobtainable expectations. I always end up failing. My husband knows this and when I verbalize these thoughts, his response is always the same, “You’re the only one not on your team. Everyone else is on your side.”

Poor guy, over seven years, he still says it every so often. When he said it again, I realized sometimes I need that encouraging reminder.

That reminder goes beyond my thinking habits. I think of circumstances - - from all parts of life and varying in all kinds of ways - - where we need the reminder that God is on our side. I think of circumstances like a lost job, a challenging relationship, an unknown future. In spite of different circumstances, God is on our side.

I also think of how easy it is - - regardless of the specifics - - for fear to become crippling in the roles God has called us to fill. I think of the countless ways we feed into the lie that we let others down: continually failing at our jobs, as moms, as wives, in ministry. In spite of all these different types of roles, God is on our side.

Whatever it is - - circumstance or role - - know this: He’s never left. Who can be against us? Whom shall we fear? Though we often need the reminders, He will carry His good work out until completion (Philippians 1:6). He is a faithful God - - whose promises we can hold to - -  who, yup…is still on our side!

You hear me when I call
You are my morning song.
Though darkness fills the night
It cannot hide the light.

Whom shall I fear?

You crush the enemy
Underneath my feet.
You are my sword and shield
Though troubles linger still.

Whom shall I fear?


I know who goes before me,
I know who stands behind.
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side.


The one who reigns forever;
He is a friend of mine.
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side.


My strength is in Your name
For You alone can save.
You will deliver me;
Yours is the victory.

Whom shall I fear?

And nothing formed against me shall stand!
You hold the whole world in Your hands.
I'm holding on to Your promises.

You are faithful![1]


GOING DEEPER:
1.  Take time today to listen to Chris Tomlin’s song, “Whom Shall I Fear.”
2. What parts are meaningful to you?

FURTHER READING:

[1] Chris Tomlin, “Whom Shall I Fear,” Burning Lights, 2013, sixstepsrecords

Lexi is married to Andrew, serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at Lake Country Christian Academy and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.