Monday, November 4, 2013

Stay Focused
By Jeannine Sawall

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus  the author and perfector of our faith.”
Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIV, emphasis added)

I recently got my first pair of glasses. Not only were they the first pair of “real” glasses I owned, my prescription required both a small distance correction AND a reading correction. The doctor suggested I try a progressive lens. I was a little apprehensive about going from nothing to a multi-prescription lens!

When I picked up my glasses and had them fitted, the difference in my vision was stunning. While my distance prescription is very slight, the crispness and details brought into focus were amazing. Reading also became easier and going from a reading focus to a distance focus was quick. What was difficult with this new set of glasses was remembering to “look with my nose.” Progressive lenses require you to look directly at whatever it is you want in focus. If I moved only my eyes to see something at the side, without moving my head, my vision became distorted and out of focus. I had to move my head so that what I was looking at was directly within my line of sight to keep things crisp and clear.

In the same way, our walk with the Lord is like wearing progressive lenses. When we keep our eyes directly on Jesus, we see things more clearly. However, when we take our eyes off of the Lord, things around us distort our vision of Him and we falter. Just as Peter was called out of the boat by Jesus to walk on water…when his eyes were on the Lord, his feet were steady and despite the wind and the waves, his path was clear; he was headed directly to Jesus. However, when he took his eyes off of the Lord, the problems of the world came into focus and overwhelmed him and he began to sink (Matthew 14:22-33). What better example do we need to keep our eyes clearly focused on the Lord?

The problems of this world will distort our vision and cause us become overwhelmed. We need to remember not to focus on our circumstances; not to focus on our problems, weaknesses or foes. We are called to fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith. It is only when we keep our eyes directly on Him we are filled with confidence and can see more clearly.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What confidences have you experienced by keeping your eyes on Jesus?
2. What does keeping your eyes fixed  on Jesus  require of you?

FURTHER READING:

Jeannine is a wife and mother of four active boys. She works in property management and actively walks along those experiencing grief.