Monday, March 31, 2014

Crown Me
By Vernette Kureck

“Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the Righteous Judge, will award to me on that day - - and not only me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.”

In my mind, I was walking the beach collecting seashells. In reality, I was sitting in the dentist chair having a molar ground down for a crown fitting. The tooth was cracked and had quite a few fillings, so the crown will make my tooth feel, look and function better. My seashell bag was full, so my thoughts drifted to different types of crowns and what they signify. 

First, I thought of the game checkers. Once you reach the other side, you get crowned and can move in any direction. According the verse above, as believers reach “the other side” known as heaven, Christ will give a crown to all those who have walked with Him and have longed for His return. This is not just any old crown, but a Righteous crown. It demonstrates royalty and blamelessness. As children of the King and Judge, we will experience true freedom.

Next, I thought of my granddaughters and their love of playing princess. Even at their young age, they get that the function of royalty has certain privileges and responsibilities. Not only do you look and feel good, but your decrees and judgments are to be fair and honorable. 1 Corinthians 6:3 states that as believers, we will judge the angels. For the Final Judgment, people of God will be reigning with Christ and judging.

Yes, playing checkers or princess is only a prelude to the work that will be done in heaven. Crowns can weigh heavily on royalty. Perhaps that is why “the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, ‘Worthy are you our Lord and God, to receive honor and glory and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created’” (Revelation 4:10-11, NIV).

The prep work was all done and I was wearing my temporary crown. I was ready to leave. “Come back in two weeks and we’ll put on the permanent crown,” the dentist said. I smiled and said, “I’m looking forward to it more than you’ll ever know.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you been enjoying your walk of grace with Jesus and longing for His return?
2. Are you ready to lay your crown down before the throne?

FURTHER READING:

Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 45 years. They have been blessed with eight grandchildren from their two sons and their wives. She serves Oakwood on the prayer chain.