Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Scammed!
By Becci J. Terrill

“Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around
like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

Recently, I fell prey to a scam. I’m embarrassed to admit it. I’m not someone who “falls” for things. I thought I had researched everything necessary to ensure the validity of the product before I ordered. When it arrived, I was careful to read everything and follow directions - - or so I thought. Fifteen days later, when I called to be certain that everything was going as I had expected, the scam was revealed.

I was embarrassed and upset. How could a company do this without proper notification? I made a few phone calls to report the situation and it was resolved. Another life lesson learned.

The hardest thing about the whole situation was admitting my poor judgment to my husband, and asking for his help. Why is that? I know he loves me no matter what I do and always has my best interest at heart. So it shouldn’t be a problem, right? It’s not a problem for him. It’s my pride.

As I reflected on my situation, I thought of ways the devil tries to scam me; after all, he is the original “scam artist.” Since he approached Eve in the Garden and scammed her into believing that God was wrong (Genesis 3), he has been scamming people ever since. Me included.

Throughout Scripture, God warns us to watch out for the devil’s schemes (Ephesians 6:11) because he is prowling around like a lion looking for someone to devour (I Peter 5:8). We are also warned to watch out for teachers who look innocent on the outside, but are really wolves in sheep’s clothing - - aka scam artists (Matthew 7:15). Just when we forget to consult with the Father because we have done the “research” and have the answers, that’s when we let our guard down and get scammed. It’s Eve in the Garden all over again.

When I do get “scammed” in my spiritual life, I need to humbly admit my failure to the Father and ask for His help with the situation. I may have scars or consequences to pay, but I can be confident that in all things God works for my good (Romans 8:28) and that He will complete the good work he has begun in my life (Philippians 1:6). I’m so grateful for His unconditional love!

It was an uncomfortable lesson to learn. Fortunately, all I’ll end up with is product that doesn’t work and a meal of humble pie.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What “scam” has the devil been trying to pull on you?
2. How will you respond?

FURTHER READING:

Becci is a wife and mother of two adult daughters. She is the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove, WI. She serves as WE Women’s Special Events Coordinator and teaches 4th Grade.