Friday, March 28, 2014


I Want To Be Like…
By Tracy Smith

“And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.”

This past January, in Wednesday night youth group we watched a series of videos from the I Am Second  website.  This website is full of 5-10 minutes videos of people of faith sharing their journey and how living for God has changed them. I was really enjoying these videos, so I decided to visit the site and watch more videos at home. I found one by Major League baseball player Albert Pujols. All I really knew about Albert Pujols was that he was a major reason that my team, the Milwaukee Brewers, did not advance to the World Series in 2011! Despite that, I decided to watch his video and I’m so glad I did! [1]

He spoke eloquently about his wife (then girlfriend) introducing him to Christ. One of the things he mentions in the video is that his daughter has Down Syndrome and he started a foundation to help families of kids with Down Syndrome. I was intrigued enough by his testimony to visit his foundation website. On the page with his testimony, Mr. Pujols says this, “I've heard kids say they want to be just like me when they grow up. They should know I want to be just like Jesus.” [2]

This was such a great reminder to me! We should always be striving to be imitators of Christ. I love that Albert Pujols says that kids who want to be like him should know that he is striving to be like Christ

When people see me, do they see an imitator of Christ?

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Who are you imitating?
2.  Is it someone that is imitating Christ or do you need to reevaluate this?

FURTHER READING:

[1] Watch Albert Pujols’ “I Am Second” testimony here: http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/albert-pujols/

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.