Friday, October 10, 2014

Intentional
By Lexi Cole Ellis

“…Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

Earlier this summer, my friend and I were at our husbands’ softball game. I had brought the puppy since we were intentionally practicing a skill with him. After a long day with him, I was working on not being frustrated and continued to do our training. My friend looked at me and said, “I’m impressed with how intentional you guys are with Calvin and his training. Keep it up; you’re doing a great job.”

It was what I desperately needed to hear. But I realized it wasn’t just Calvin; every sphere in my life puts intentionality at a high importance. A teacher…wife…friend…sister and daughter…ministry volunteer and leader…coworker. And - - similar to occasionally feeling tired at the intentionality that’s required with being a “puppy parent” - - there are times I’m exhausted with the amount of work and intentionality needed in my other roles.

Take a moment to look at some of the spheres in your life where you’re intentional in spiritual development.  My response is similar to my friend’s comment: Keep it up! You’re doing a good job! The tireless, spiritual intentionality you invest in your relationships, your marriage, your kids, your job, your ministry is worth it when it’s done with a heart of humility. The diligence you bring to those roles is God-honoring. He sees:
  • the way you have continually prayed for open doors with a coworker
  • the patience you have as you constantly work every day to be the faith-trainer in your child’s life and the really hard diligence you pursue to develop your child’s spiritual, emotional and social formation
  • the loving respect you choose to have for your husband
  • the kind words you choose to express to a family member or friend…even when it’s hard
  • the overflow you expend by volunteering your time and talent to the Church
Thank you for your intentionality and being willing to be in it for the long haul. It’s worth it, despite the days it feels overwhelming, futile and frustrating. Luckily, we have a God who knows that intentionality can often bring tiredness and frustration, and He has given believers His Spirit, His Word and His offer to come to Him when we’re weary (Matthew 11:28-30).

I’m thankful my friend noticed our intentionality when I was frustrated and encouraged me to keep it up. Thank YOU for the intentionality you’re choosing every day in your relationships. Keep it up…keep being intentional in pointing others to Him. I promise it’s worth it!

GOING DEEPER:
1. How are you choosing to be intentional in spiritual development in your relationships?

FURTHER READING:
Lexi is married to Andrew and has an adorable puppy named Calvin. She serves with Oakwood’s Children’s Ministries, teaches at sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.