Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Swans
By Vernette Kureck

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?  Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

“Lord, it would be the end of a perfect summer if I could just see those swans.” That was my lament a couple years ago on a colorful, sunny day as my husband and I chugged around Lake Nagawicka for the last boat ride of the season. We had heard that a family of swans had taken up residence on the lake, but we had never seen them. As we approached the entrance to our back channel, lo and behold, there they were, looking beautiful and majestic in their white plumage. We parked the boat and I ran down to the other end of the channel so I could enjoy their feeding frenzy on the duckweed. 

That following summer, we had seen the swans every time we went out on the lake…and there were now three families. Whenever I saw them, I was grateful and remember how sweetly God honored my simple prayer the year before. John 14:13 says, “And I will do whatever you ask in my name so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (NIV) In my prayer life, I have asked God for big things and small things, trusting that His perfect will be done. Answers have come in the form of “yes,” “no” or “not now.”

Jesus loves to glorify the Father, the Creator of all the universe. For me to enjoy those swans was to bring praise to the Father’s workmanship. In the context of the above Scripture, Jesus is teaching that the presence of the Holy Spirit in a believer’s life is far more important than receiving material blessings. The lesson for me last fall was to see how much the Lord was aware of my desires expressed in less-than-ardent prayer form, and His willingness to give me the good gift: seeing the swans. The lesson that summer - -  every time I saw the swans - - was how His good gifts are multiplied and manifested through the Holy Spirit. My prayer became the last stanza of an old hymn: “God, who touchest earth with beauty, make me lovely too.  Keep me ever by thy Spirit, pure and strong and true.” [1] 

GOING DEEPER
1. Do you have any natural reminders of answered prayer that lead you to praise God?
2. Which “good” gifts have you been focusing on?
  
FURTHER READING:

[1] C.Harold Lowden,  “God, Who Touchest Earth With Beauty”

Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 44 years. They have been blessed with eight grandchildren from their two sons and their wives.