Monday, October 6, 2014

The Lord, my Strength
By Peggy Kleckner

“The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.

Two years ago, I was invited to a birthday party. That sounds fun, even as an adult, doesn’t it?  Especially when it is for a dear friend who loves you, and you know quite a few of the others who are invited. So why, on the day of the party, was I feeling fear and anxiousness?

I had to ask myself that question and let God answer it. He and I have been walking together for some time now, and the review of my journey brought some revelation. Years ago, a party meant drinking.  While in that phase, I hid behind alcohol. No one had to see the real me.  Drinking gave me something to do at the party, and whatever behavior someone didn’t like, I could blame on the alcohol. Thankfully, I lived through that phase of my life, surely by His grace. I have also hidden behind words. That may sound odd to you, but think about it for a few minutes: Don’t you know people who talk incessantly?  I am one of those people. God has helped me to recognize that this has been a defense. If I just keep talking about a topic of my choosing, no one can ask me something I don’t know or about anything I don’t really want to discuss. It also feels safer behind a great shield of words. However, this is surely wearing on others and leaves the talker very lonely. Lonely, because we won’t let anyone in to find the real us.

I have even hidden behind my husband; he seems to be better at mingling. Perhaps he is applying some of these defenses as well, but at least two feels safer than being a one. Unfortunately, it was hunting season and he was not available.

My final defense has been food. At least eating gives you something to do, something to focus on. God has been dealing with this habit, as well. Spending the night on a nonstop munch was not a choice that God would approve of.

Suffice it to say, this was a test. Not a test for me to pass or fail, but one where God could show me just how far He has brought me. The people were gracious, the evening was delightful, and I accepted His strength in place of my former addictive behaviors.  May His name be praised.

“My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song.”  Psalm 29:7b (NIV)

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What situations make you anxious?
2.  Are you willing to trust God to lead you into new healthy behaviors?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.