Monday, October 20, 2014

Security
By Tracy Smith

“Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.”
Psalm 9:10 (NIV)

Thursdays use to be my grocery shopping day.  In running my errands, I would pass my oldest son’s middle school. Two years ago, on one particular Thursday, I happened to glance at the school as I drove by and saw my son sitting on the sidewalk reading a book! I pulled into the parking lot; after he was in the van, he told me that he had missed the bus. Knowing his dad could be there within the hour, he called his dad’s cell phone and left a message to pick him up. When I asked why he didn’t call me, he responded that he knew I grocery shopped that day. I reminded him that the reason I saw him is that one of the stores I shop at is right across the street from his school!

In recounting the story to my sister, something occurred to me - - my son was so secure in the knowledge that his dad would come get him when he got the message that he was calmly sitting on the sidewalk reading a book! He was in no way worried about how he would get home.

If my son can have that much security in the love and trustworthiness of his earthly father, why do I struggle with having that same trust in my heavenly Father?

In asking that question, I decided to search out Bible verses that I can use to remind me of God’s character.  My favorite is the one at the top of this devotional; here are a few more that really resonated with me:

“In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them.” Psalm 22:4 

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6 

“Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.” Isaiah 26:4  

“Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Proverbs 29:25

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:7-8

GOING DEEPER
1. Have you been struggling with fully putting your trust in the Lord? If so, would you commit to memorizing a verse about God’s trustworthiness?

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.