Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Confessions of a “Martha”
By Becci “Martha” Terrill

“And Jesus answered and said to her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.’”

My name isn’t Martha, but it could be. Not because it was given to me by loving parents, but because it’s part of my DNA. It’s who I am. Can you relate?

I’ve known this truth for some time, even shared it with others. I’d “confess” (because we all know that Mary chose the better way) but nothing in my life would change. I think secretly I liked being a “Martha.” After all, how would anything get done without “Martha’s”? Busy people get things done, right? I wanted to be one of “those people” who got things done.

I find myself disliking off-times that lack focus, purpose or activities. Even vacations have schedules. When illness hits and rest is forced on me, I am restless and discouraged.

Why do I find it so hard to just be still for prolonged periods of time? To be in the presence of Jesus and drink up all that He is? Is it because I won’t like what His presence reveals in my heart? Do I find my value in service and all that I accomplish, rather than in Jesus?

These are hard questions that can reveal ugly truths, but sin is ugly. The Bible says, “The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9, NIV)

Now, don’t get me wrong, being a “Martha” isn’t bad; neither is service. However, if the service isn’t overflow from a heart filled with love for and worship of Jesus, then we’d better be careful. What is our heart condition and motivation for the service?

Martha loved Jesus; so do I. Like her, I have much to learn from Jesus and the “Mary’s” of this world. I’ll always be a “Martha” and I can’t change that. I can, however, choose to stop what I’m doing and spend more time with Jesus. That is the better way.

GOING DEEPER:
1. During this season of Lent, we have the perfect opportunity to make time to focus on what Jesus did for us. Consider using the Easter/Lent devotional, The Trail to the Tree, by Ann Voskamp this Easter season. It will be good practice for us “Martha’s.” (http://www.aholyexperience.com/category/trail-to-the-tree/)

FURTHER READING:
Luke 10:38-42; Matthew 6:6; John 15:1-5

Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children's Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.