Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Anchor Holds
By Susan Klein

“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.”

Christian music has always played a big part in my faith journey. One of my favorite artists when just starting out on my faith walk was Ray Boltz. His songs told stories. One of my favorites was, “The Anchor Holds.” [1] The chorus goes:

The anchor holds
Though the ship is battered
The anchor holds
Though the sails are torn

I have fallen on my knees
As I faced the raging seas
The anchor holds
In spite of the storm

Many times, I would play the CD and sing along, not giving too much thought to what the lyrics were about. Then, one summer, while my neighbor across the street was at home celebrating the birth of her baby girl, I was at home mourning the loss of mine. Overcome by grief and unable to sleep, I sat alone in my living room, feeling much like that torn and battered ship, having gone through my own personal storm.

I put in the CD to hear the familiar lyrics. As the music started, I opened the case to follow along with the words printed inside. I knew them by heart, but something propelled me to look anyway. What I found was another story. The author of the song was a dear friend of Ray Boltz’s, and he wrote the lyrics right after losing his own baby. [2] How come I never noticed that before?!! I believe my loving Abba Father was saving it for just that moment, when He knew the pain of a grieving daddy would soothe this grieving mommy’s heart. I sang along, this time knowing and feeling the author’s pain, his words reaching the deepest part of my heart and becoming my words. I sang with tears of sadness, of comfort, and of hope. God would be my anchor, and I would get through this.

Years later, re-visiting the song, I can now relate to the last verse:

I have been young
But I am older now
And there has been beauty
These eyes have seen

But it was in the night
Through the storms of my life
Oh, that's where God proved
His love to me

The Anchor holds. [3]

GOING DEEPER:
1. Who is usually the first person you turn to when the storms of life start raging?
2. Let God, who makes all things work together for good, meet you in your storm and be your anchor.

FURTHER READING:

[1] Ray Boltz, Lawrence Chewning, The Anchor Holds, 1992; Copyright: Shepherd Boy Music, Word Music LLC
[3] Want to listen to this song? Listen to it here: http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=E2FJMNNU

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a Wednesday Night Community small group.