Friday, May 15, 2015

Both
By Lexi Cole Ellis

The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out, “Yahweh! TheLord! The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations. I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin. But I do not excuse the guilty. I lay the sins of the parents upon their children and grandchildren the entire family is affected - - even children in the third and fourth generations.”

Two songs were playing on the radio. As I was switched back and forth between the two Christian radio stations, one song proclaimed God’s love is like a waterfall while the other declared God roaring like a lion. The polar opposites made me smile as I envisioned the imagery… God’s love gushing over like water falling but then God’s power synonymous with the commanding roar of a lion. Both pictures are accurate from a theological standpoint.

So if both are true, is there a contradiction? It seems like it. Or perhaps our minds and our language wrestle with the idea that God can be both because of the limits of our “human-ness.”

The reality is, without both songs, I miss out if I focus on one attribute of God because I don’t see the fullness of both (sometimes seemly incompatible) characteristics. How easy it is to focus on the facets or statements of God I like, and choose to ignore parts that show the opposite. I like the parts about strength…but I’d rather ignore the part about serving. I like verses about receiving…but do I have to see the “both” of giving to receive? [1] In the verse above, it’s easier to focus exclusively on the compassionate and gracious God, the one who forgives and loves. Verse seven talks about punishment for the guilty and future generations’ experiencing the consequences of that sin. Hmmm…not really a fan of that part. How can God be the God of both?

At the end of the day, that’s where trust and faith comes in. While I am called into a relationship with God, I am not His equal in understanding His ways and His attributes. I resonate with what God says in Isaiah 55:8, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.” (NIV)

Part of being in an active and growing relationship with God means that we’re willing to wrestle with the “both’s” that seem contradictory…and are willing to trust when it doesn’t make sense. I’m thankful that flipping back and forth between the two songs reminded me to stop ignoring the parts of Scripture that I don’t naturally cling to and realize that the “both’s” reveal how incredibly complete God is.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are some of the characteristics of God that you tend to ignore?
2. What parts of God’s “both” in Scripture do you need to address?

GOING FURTHER:


Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable puppy named Calvin. She teaches sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School. Lexi serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.