Friday, May 1, 2015

Low Tide
By Tracy Smith

“ And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

At a recent women’s retreat, the speaker made this statement, “When the tide is lowest is when treasures are revealed.”

This statement stayed in my thoughts and when we were given an opportunity to spend quiet time with the Lord, I continued to work through that statement. It was a truth that had never occurred to me. Growing up in Wisconsin, I didn’t have a lot of experience with the ocean, but I could try to apply this statement to my life.

As I continued to think about this, another thought occurred to me - - that while low tide would reveal treasures, it would also leave behind some pretty ugly things too. When I am going through a low tide in life what do I show the world - - the treasures or the ugly? What do I focus on?

All of these questions swirled around in my head and I didn’t like some of the answers I was coming up with. I think my natural tendency is to focus on the ugly and bypass right by the beautiful. I eventually get to the beautiful, but it takes a while for me to see the treasures left behind by a struggle.

Do I really believe what James 1:2-4 says?
“Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.” (NIV)
I know that I do not usually see trials as a way for my endurance to grow, and I certainly do not consider it a joy. These verses challenge me to change my thinking and to see challenges as a chance to grow and mature as a Christian.

My goal is that when I face a low tide, I focus on the treasures left behind.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Looking back at a low tide in your life, can you see the beauty that was left behind?
2.  Memorize James 1:2-4 and make it a challenge to yourself.

FURTHER READING:

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and works with a great group of Junior High girls.