Friday, March 11, 2016

A New Slave
By Susan Klein

Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey - - whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

I am a slave. So are you. Everyone is. Does that thought disturb you? By definition, a slave is someone who is owned and controlled by a force or person other than oneself. As I see it (my perspective on God’s Word), there are three kinds of slaves in this world.

The first kind of slave is someone who has been purchased by another person for selfish gain. They must obey the person to whom they are enslaved, and they have no rights of their own. They are often mistreated by their master.

The second kind of slave is someone who the Bible describes as, “a slave to sin.” This person is set on satiating the appetites of the flesh, is controlled by their worldly passions, and owned by their self-gratifying desires. This person may even believe he is his own master.

Unfortunately, this describes all of us at some point in our lives. I used to be this kind of slave. Sometimes I still “feel” like I am a slave to sin. In my heart, I want to do right. But in my flesh, I do wrong. It’s a constant battle! So how can I be sure I’m not still a slave to sin?

Because the Bible tells us that there is a third kind of slave: a slave to righteousness. You see, a slave cannot have two masters. Therefore, if I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Master, I cannot be a slave to sin any longer. It is impossible for sin to own me if Jesus owns me.

I can still be tempted by sin and weak in my flesh, but once my Master is Jesus Christ, no one or no thing can snatch me away from Him or be master over me any longer. I am still a slave, but a new slave. A slave to Christ! He bought me with a price, and He owns me. Forever. And that is a very comforting place to be.

Being a slave to righteousness has its benefits. As Romans 6:22 puts it: “But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.”

A slave in bondage or a slave with blessings…you choose!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What or who is master over you?
2. Are you experiencing bondage, or blessing?

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads an on-site small group.