Friday, March 4, 2016

Lukewarm
By Susan Klein

“So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold - - I am about to spit you out of my mouth.”

I love that first cup of freshly brewed hot coffee in the morning, especially on a cold winter day. There is just something so soothing about that steaming bliss running down my throat on its way to warming my whole inner being. But, as often happens, I set the cup down while I tend to a task or two, and when I come back for another swig, it’s lukewarm. Ugh! So disappointing. I run to make it hot again.

“Lukewarm” just tends to carry a negative connotation. No one desires to take a lukewarm shower, or orders a lukewarm soft drink at a restaurant. Hot or cold are much more desirable. And this is the message God tries to get across to the church in Laodicea via His servant, John.

As John was delivering the truth of salvation through Jesus Christ to the churches in Asia Minor, he was banished to the island of Patmos by some who scorned the message he was preaching. While there, God gave him a prophetic vision, which contained messages for the seven area churches. To one church, God says, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” In essence, He is saying, “If you are hot, you are on fire for me, and are living to bring glory and honor to me. If you are cold, you have not yet been ignited with the flame of my Holy Spirit, and are still reachable. But, if you are lukewarm, you have heard the Truth, and have chosen complacency.” In the above verse, he uses the analogy of “spitting them out of His mouth,” like we might spit out that lukewarm mouthful of coffee.

This verse has always touched my heart in a deep way. The thought of God spitting me out is a very alarming word picture in my mind. At times, in my own faith journey, I feel I have come close to succumbing to complacency, not wanting to persevere on the course set before me. But, that picture of Him spitting me out quickly draws my focus back to the good works He prepared in advance for me to do (Ephesians 2:10).

May we never tire of doing what is good and right in the eyes of God, that He might savor us on His tongue!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you checked your spiritual thermometer recently?
2. Enlist the power of the Holy Spirit to re-ignite your flame.

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a Sunday morning Community Bible Experience book club/small group.