Friday, March 18, 2016

Sharing the Hard Story
By Susan Klein

“I pray that you might be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.”

It was a gathering of neighborhood women for the purpose of developing meaningful and purposeful ways to reach out to other neighbors. As each woman around the table shared whom they currently knew in the neighborhood, the conversation took a sudden turn. There was talk of a previous neighbor whose wife took her own life, leaving him with two small children to care for. Incredulous at how someone could make such a choice, I felt the Spirit’s nudging to share my story.

“Many years ago,” I began, “I was in that place. I had two small children and wanted to end my own life.” I went on to share how I had been in a very dark place, and felt there was absolutely no escape from the mental anguish that plagued me. I had prayed, had read my Bible, had people pray over me, had been medicated, but still the suicidal thoughts relentlessly pushed out every rational thought. It was mental torture beyond any physical pain I had ever endured.

It’s difficult to explain this to someone who has never walked in that place. It is also not something I ever look forward to sharing as it takes me back to that very vulnerable place. I wasn’t sure how these women would respond, so I shared cautiously and briefly. As they gently prodded for more, I gave answers as the Spirit led.

They were curious to know what kept me from following through. I explained that it was an hour-by-hour struggle to not give up, and blindly trusting that my loving heavenly Father held me tight in His grasp. After only a few minutes, one woman thanked me for sharing. Admitting she had no idea of how it felt to be in that place, she now felt convicted to respond more compassionately to such incidents in the future.

While we all love to share our success stories with others, sharing the hard stories can be vital tools for the Holy Spirit to use in the lives of others. A wise person once told me, “God doesn’t waste any suffering.” I believe that to be true. I believe He allows us to walk those hard roads in our lives so that we can share what He’s taught us and benefit those who have not walked in our shoes.

GOING DEEPER:
1. If prompted, would you be willing to share your hard story with someone?
2. How might you comfort someone with the comfort you have received?

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a small group.