Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Blessings in the Back
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
    his faithfulness continues through all generations.”

“Well, Lord, I got here…late. I think that’s the best I can do today,” I thought, dropping into the chair toward the back of the church. Emotional, physical, and spiritual exhaustion threatened to overwhelm me. I started my God-conversation in my head as I settled in, dumping on Him about all the issues going on in my life. It seemed there were just too many demands, and too little of me lately.

From my vantage point in the back, I stopped long enough to take a look around - - and was stunned at the blessings of God represented in the families around me. There were newborn babies; multiple generations of family worshiping together; cancer survivors; teens sitting together - - not alone; accident victims recovering; children brought to their forever families through adoption. I saw others in the midst of struggles…how God was providing tangible help during joblessness, counseling to struggling relationships, friendships to the lonely and hurting. 

“See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
And streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:19 (NIV)

Looking back, I think I was meant to be late to church that morning for a specific divine appointment that could not be held in my normal center-of-the-room seat. That morning, I could see some of the new things that God was working on. And in focusing on what He was doing for others whose stories I knew, I could feel assured that He was also doing the same for me…even if I did not perceive it.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  There are 31 days in January.  Can you list 31 “new things” for the new year you see God doing for you or others you know?
2.  Try sitting in the back of your church service, and let God remind you of His faithfulness.

FURTHER READING:


Along with caring for her family, Carolyn works as an insurance representative, serves in Oakwood Church as a Community Group leader and a High School home group leader.