Monday, January 23, 2017

Is That With a “K”?
By Lisa Boyer

“But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive together with Christ even when we were dead in our transgressions - - it is by grace you have been saved.”

She had given me her last name, but I was sure I had heard wrong and gave her a chance to correct me, “Is that with a K?” I asked. “No,” she replied, “Sinner - - like in the Bible.”

Wow! I’d never met anyone with Sinner as their last name. I wondered... was her last name proudly displayed in her home in the same way as yours and mine are? Did her parents send out a Christmas letter and sign it The Sinners?  What was it like growing up as a Sinner? 

Truthfully, I know what it was like growing up as a sinner. I didn’t say it out loud as part of my official name, but sinner was definitely my title. While I regularly earned that title, I had a very difficult time owning up to it and claiming it. I had no problem professing my faith and stating that I was a Christian, but under no circumstances did I want anyone to know that I was a sinner, EVER.

Those days are over for me, and I now own up to my title. I am certainly not proud of it, but if I deny that I am a sinner, am I not in essence denying my need for a Savior? How can I truly share what God has done in my life without starting at the beginning, that I was a sinner?

I am so grateful that God doesn’t wait until we sinners clean up our lives before He’ll love us! Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (NIV).

I recently saw a paraphrase of that verse which said “I loved you at your darkest.” At my darkest - - while I was actively in sin - - He loved me. Even now, in dark moments - - when I’m caught in sin - - He still loves me, forgives me and restores me to a right relationship with Him. 

My name is Lisa Boyer and I am a sinner, but because of God’s love for us, I have a Savior, Jesus Christ. 

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you acknowledged that you are a sinner and found a Savior in Jesus, the One who died for you? (For more information, go to Following Jesus at Oakwoodnow.org.)

FURTHER READING:


Lisa is married to Ted and they have two sons in college. Lisa serves as an event photographer at Oakwood and wherever else she is needed.