Thursday, January 12, 2017

We’re Going to Fall
By Lisa Boyer

“For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do - - this I keep on doing.”

Given Paul’s confession that even he doesn’t do the good he wants to do but does the evil that he doesn’t want to do, it seems this is a never-ending battle for every Christian, no matter their spiritual age. Most sermons I’ve heard from the Romans 7:15-25 passage end with, “Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

While I am overwhelmed by God’s grace towards me in the deliverance He gives me through Jesus Christ, too often I find myself stuck in a place before  deliverance, that place where I’ve fallen and feel stuck in my failure.

Recently, I read a quote by Olympic figure skater Scott Hamilton that spoke to me. “The first thing I teach skaters at my skating academy is how to get up - - because we’re going to fall.” Hamilton goes on to say, “And that’s how I live my life: I’m going to fall down, I’m going to make mistakes, I’m going to do all kinds of things that I’m going to wish didn’t happen. But it’s what’s next - - it’s how you get up.”

I wish my walk with Jesus had started with lessons on how to get up, but it didn’t. It’s only been in the past few years of my 39-year journey that I’ve focused on “what’s next” and “how you get up” without getting stuck in my failure.  

So, what is the “get up” plan? You can create your own plan based on Scripture, but here’s mine: immediate confession and repentance - - allowing no time to get stuck wallowing in my failure - - and then accepting forgiveness.

Scott Hamilton’s quote ended with, “The more times you get up, the stronger you are to face the next thing, which will happen - - because that’s life.” While my preference is that I never fall, I still do (and not very gracefully); I’ve learned that when I get back up and make things right with God quickly, the less likely I am to fall in that same area again. 

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you struggling with failure and haven’t found deliverance in Jesus? Today, will you humble yourself in prayer, confess your sin, repent, and truly receive forgiveness?
2.  If you haven’t made a “get up” plan, will you begin that now?

FURTHER READING:


Lisa is married to Ted and they have two sons in college. Lisa serves as an event photographer at Oakwood and wherever else she is needed.