Wednesday, August 2, 2017

In the Beginning…
By Peggy Kleckner

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

It is the beginning of a new day. A new 24-hour period, a whole world of new possibility, beginning with God’s promise of new mercies and yet, my heart struggles. Why this battle to believe?  It is a war. The enemy wants to strip me of my faith, to tear away my hope, and to keep me captive to my past.

Believing takes courage, aligning myself with Scripture takes practice in coming to His Word daily for refreshment, renewal, encouragement….yes, the bread and water of life…..His life. I need Him. There will not be a day when I move out and away and say, “I’m all grown up and on my own now, I don’t need to stop by and visit. I don’t need what You have to offer me.” That would be great foolishness.

On days when I feel I just can’t breathe, I go back to basics….the beginning, the first line written out for us.  “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” That is more than enough to chew on.  At the very beginning, God created. No one else is mentioned, just God alone. I didn’t create, so all of the responsibility does not lie on my shoulders. I look up and remember who is bigger.

What did He create? The heavens AND the earth. Well, ponder that a while. How big are the heavens? How much of earth have you or I seen? How many generations do we know? He began it all. How vast is His mind compared to yours or mine? How amazingly creative is He?

One line can change my perspective at any point in my day. One line reminds me who began it all and who is capable of both sustaining it and completing it. The weight falls from my shoulders and I am again in a position to worship, fully bowed down, humbled and reverently awed before His majesty…..and that is only the “beginning.”

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you willing to begin again today?
2.  What have you eaten from His Word today and are you still chewing on it?

FURTHER READING:


Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church.