Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Stoplight
by Elizabeth Cole

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

You’re driving along Highway 83, life’s good, great song on the radio, the Corn Man is finally at his stand and…whoa, light just turned yellow. You slam on your brakes to stop at the now-red light…and everything that’s been tidily hidden under the front seats is now littering the floormats, including the empty Dr. Pepper bottle that’s partially wedged under your heel. Hershey’s wrappers, leftover packaging of a Reese’s (or two), the half-empty bag of Dove chocolates readily available for the occasional emergency.

Has this ever happened to you? Yeah…me neither. [1]

It’s interesting what a jolt in the middle of life can reveal about ourselves. That suddenly uncomfortable confrontation; that way-higher medical bill; that selfish response to an inconvenience. What was neatly tucked away for nobody to see…including ourselves…comes rolling into sight. For many of us, the first response to our initial reactions is a combo of embarrassment and shame. Honestly, it’s discouraging to see just how far I have to go in becoming like Jesus, probably because that is truly my heart’s desire.

But look at King David’s lyrics in Psalm 139, and notice how much he trusts God. He begins by acknowledging that God knows everything about him, followed by a beautiful description of God’s never-leaving presence. He goes on to recall that God is, in fact, the One who made him and ordains his life. He aligns his values with God’s, and then  asks, “Search me…test me…point out anything in me that offends you…” I don’t get any sense that he’s embarrassed or ashamed, but because of his relationship with the Lord, he’s humbly asking in confidence and security.

This changes everything. When we lay the truth of Romans 8:1 (there is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus) alongside this psalm, an alternative response to our reactions emerges. Fully confident in my relationship with Christ, I trustingly ask my God to show me how He’s conforming me to Jesus’ image…because that is truly my heart’s desire. He’s not startled by what has rolled into view, and He’s more than willing to lead.

Doesn’t that kinda make you glad for the jolt? Yeah…me, too.

GOING DEEPER:
1. In confidence, ask the Spirit to reveal something He wants to clean up in your life.

FURTHER READING:

Elizabeth is a wife with three grown daughters and two sons-in-law, and is the Director of Connecting at Oakwood Church.


[1] Totally inspired by Andy Gullahorn’s song, “I Haven’t Either” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8dajC6g9hU