Thursday, August 17, 2017

UFO’s
By Elizabeth Cole

 “…being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”


A friend told me she was expecting twins and, in excitement, I started stitching two beautiful blankets. Purchasing the pattern and materials needed, I anticipated how sweet it would be to wrap up each baby in the softest of colors. I worked diligently on those complicated projects, though there did come a point when I needed to set them aside for, well27 years! Yes, theyre still unfinishedyes, I had to buy something else to celebrate their birthyes, theyre even now tucked in a bin of “UFO’s” in my basement.

UnFinished Objects. Ugh. Am I the only one who enthusiastically starts projects, only to get distracted? Another object grabs my attention, until even another one moves me from the second, and on it goes. Case in point: We lived in a wallpapered bedroom for eight whole years that only needed one half of one last strip of wallpaper to be completed!

Sometimes, I confess, it has more to do with confusion. Ive come to a point in a projects instructions that I dont understand, so I set it aside to try to figure it out later. MUCH later, because I have no idea how to proceed, nor do I have a clear vision of what its going to look like in the end. And, ultimately, it’s forgotten.

And then there are those UFOs that I decided were simply unattractive. Im quite clear on how theyre going to turn outand I dont really like them. My skills arent what I hoped theyd be; the idea isnt playing out. Any further time spent on those projects is a waste of energy.

As a Christ-follower, ever considered yourself a UFO?

Beloved, be confident today. While you are, in fact, an unfinished object, you can be assured that your Maker will continue His good work in you until completion. No, Hes not found you to be too complicated. No, He hasnt left you to move on to something/someone more interesting. Hes definitely not confused by what to do next, nor does He wonder how youll ever become the person He designed you to be. You are not forgotten. And yes, His skills are up to the task, He finds you worth His energy, and He delights in who youre going to be when He’s done.

So, breathe. Believe Him. Say thank you.Cooperate with what Hes doing. Tell someone else. Love Him more. Repeat. Anticipating the day He returns or calls us home and we are, finallycomplete.


GOING DEEPER:
1. How does knowing Gods promise of completion encourage you to trust Him more? To treat others differently?

FURTHER READING:


Elizabeth is a wife and mother of three grown daughters; a mother-in-law to two sons. She is the Director of Connecting at Oakwood Church.