Thursday, October 19, 2017

“High Road” or Higher Ground?
By Susan Klein

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

Flipping through the channels one night, I stopped at an unfamiliar sitcom. Two women were sitting in a coffee shop. I listened as one woman relived a conflict she recently had with her sister to the other woman at the table. The other woman implored, “She REALLY said that?!! What did you say to her? I would have given her a piece of my mind!” The first woman responded, “Oh, trust me, I wanted to. But, I’m going to take ‘the high road,’ and not say anything at all. That will show her who the bigger person is!”

A commercial break gave me time to ponder this scenario. Was she really taking “the high road”? Just by speaking about the incident with an uninvolved party, wasn’t she really trying to rally the troops in her corner and justify her position? Couldn’t it, in fact, be considered gossiping? And, would “saying nothing at all” really help to resolve the conflict or restore the relationship? More likely, it would just be a form of avoidance, or even payback. Not exactly the high road. I flipped to the cooking channel.

I think sometimes the defining lines of “taking the high road” and “going to higher ground” can be somewhat blurry: one being mistaken for the other. In the above scenario, the high road was a road of self-elevation, saying, “Look at me, I’m being so much better than she!” Had the woman conveyed instead, “I’m going to choose to overlook her offense, forget all about it, and love her anyway,” she’d be moving to higher ground. She’d be honoring God, as well as showing love to the other person.

The “higher ground” is the place where God is. It is where we go to seek Him, and learn to model His grace and mercy. It is asking Him, “Lord, how can I respond rightly in this situation to bring glory and honor to you?” Or, “What is the response that will most help the other person involved?” It is often a place of self-sacrificing, and never a place of self-exalting. It is definitely a place of great mercy and love, never one of revenge or retribution. It is most certainly a place of restoration.

Next time we are inclined to “take the high road” in a situation, let’s be sure it’s the road that leads to “higher ground.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. What is your typical response in a conflict?
2. What positive steps can you take to move toward a godly response in conflict?

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and co-leads an in-home small group. She serves as a mentor to young women, and is a member of Oakwood’s Peace Team, helping people work through conflict.