Monday, October 2, 2017

The Refuge
By Brita Crouse

“You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in Your word.”

Dear refuge of my weary soul,
On thee when sorrows rise;
On thee, when waves of trouble roll,
My fainting hope relies.

In college, I had the opportunity to lead a weekly group for the women who lived on my floor. The purpose of the group was for us to gather, as women and believers, and share our hearts and worship together. During this hour-long time, we would share testimonies, prayer requests, and talents through worship. We met on Sunday nights, right before heading into a busy, sometimes spiritually draining, week. We called this time together The Refuge.

While hope revives, though pressed with fears,
And I can say, “My God,”
Beneath thy feet I spread my cares,
And pour my woes abroad.

That season of life is now over, but I am constantly reminded of the impact of these women and their hearts for Jesus. The Refuge was a safe place for us to gather and make ourselves vulnerable with the hope of encouraging one another and bringing each other closer together and closer to God. Many times, I entered into Sunday evening with a list of what I needed to do for the week weighing on my mind. Yet, I always managed to leave The Refuge feeling connected and rejuvenated spiritually.

To thee I tell each rising grief,
For thou alone can heal;
Thy word can bring a sweet relief,
For every pain I feel.

So often this is how I come to Jesus. Sometimes my thoughts are overwhelming or I worry I won’t find a solution to a situation. In those times, as I come before God in prayer, I start off feeling distracted or unsure of where to begin. But, once I let go of those distractions and worries, I manage to come away from my time with God feeling more at peace, more connected with my Savior. “My soul finds rest in God alone.” [1]

Hast thou not bid me seek thy face?
And shall I seek in vain?
And can the ear of sovereign grace
Be deaf when I complain?

God desires communication with you, whether you are sharing joys, fears or sins. He wants to hear what’s on your heart. He wants to be your Refuge.

No, still the ear of sovereign grace
Attends the mourner’s prayer;
O may I ever find access,
To breathe my sorrows there. [2]


GOING DEEPER:
1.  What is your place of refuge?
2.  What distractions and worries do you want to let go of this week?

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently moved back to her home state of Wisconsin where she works as an Elementary School Counselor. She and her family have attended Oakwood for 20 years.


[1] Psalm 62:1a
[2] My God, my Father, while I stray. C. Elliot. (1834).