Monday, October 30, 2017

Spiritual Safari
By Elin Henderson

“Search me oh God and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and LEAD me in the way everlasting.”  

When we hear the word “safari,” it usually conjures up visions of elephants and lions swarming around a group of pith-helmeted tourists dressed in khaki with binoculars or expensive cameras stuck to their heads. Actually, the word “safari” is a Swahili word just meaning “journey or trip.” No pith helmets, cameras or wild animals needed. It’s a means of getting somewhere and actually going there. We recently took a long safari from Mozambique down through Zimbabwe, Botswana and finally into South Africa. As a family, it was an incredible time of seeing God’s awesome creation, but the safari went well beyond that for me. 

God had a spiritual safari planned for me that far surpassed the physical safari I had planned. He led me to some frightful places that I would have rather never visited as He revealed the wildness of my heart. He exposed areas that need a little (or a lot) of rehabilitation. And by the power of His Spirit, He began a gracious work of rebuilding and renewing. He gave me glimpses of how I am fearfully and wonderfully made and how He delights to use me (the crazy and all) for His glory. It was a safari of highs and lows, but as my faithful Guide, He never left my side…walking hand-in-hand with me, leading, protecting and caring for me along the way. 

Sometimes as we venture off on a safari, God has a lot more in store for us than we ever expected! Your next safari could just be another typical one, or you could be in for a real surprise when God turns it into a spiritual safari unlike anything you have ever experienced before. Just hold on to your pith helmets and keep those binoculars at the ready for the amazing things that He will reveal to you, work in you, and through you! 
           
GOING DEEPER:    
1.What are some spiritual safaris that God has taken you on? Can you recall the lessons learned? What were you like before you went on that “safari” and then after you returned? How does that encourage you? 
2. Next time you are out for coffee with a friend, make this a topic of discussion and exchange “spiritual safari” experiences. 

FURTHER READING:


Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson (a registered nurse) and her husband Phil serve as church planters with New Tribes in Mozambique, Africa.  Elin is mother to seventeen-year-old Callie and fourteen-year-old Elias.